Hi, I’m Randy Charles, the creator and chief editor of this site Paintcentric. I’m a businessman now by profession, but I used to work as...Read more
Acrylic paint is almost completely pigment that is mixed with acrylic polymer, which is like a synthetic substance that is glue-like. Latex paint is a general type of paint that is mostly used on ceilings and walls. Originally it used a natural rubber as a binder but today they use a synthetic compound like vinyl or acrylic.
Acrylic vs latex paint: what other differences are there between the two? Are they both weather resistant or is it just one of them? How do you use each one? Is one more expensive than the other one?
In this article, all of these questions will be answered. By the end of this article, you will know what the difference is between acrylic and latex paint. You will also know how to use each one? Read on to learn all about acrylic vs latex paint and then make your decision on which one to use for your project.
Acrylic vs Latex Paint—What’s the Difference?
The main difference between acrylic and latex paint is the solvent. In acrylic paint, the solvents contain chemicals and in latex paint, they are water-based. What this means is that once these paints dry, they will both have many different qualities.
- Weather resistance: When dry they produce a colorful, strong, and weather-resistant finish. They can better cope with UV rays and changes in temperature. It is also water-resistant so it will thrive in the winter and rainy seasons.
- Ease of use: These are not easy to use as the paint for art projects comes in tubes and is not immediately ready to use. To use them, you have to thin them out first. The cans are easier to use as you just have to shake them to mix them. Since they also dry fast, if you are doing a huge project some parts will dry quicker than other parts. This can result in a consistency that is uneven.
- Cleaning: To clean up acrylic paint, you will need rubbing alcohol or a specialty cleaner. It is water-resistant once it is dry so you can easily clean the painted surface with warm water and soap. You cannot scrub acrylic paint surfaces because they can scratch or be scuffed easily.
- Health risks: This type of paint has chemicals, so you need to make sure that y have extra ventilation when you are painting with acrylics. They are also flammable. You should always wear gloves when working with acrylics because of the chemicals.
- Durability: If you are painting something for the outside or the exterior of a surface, you should use these paints because they are more durable. This paint is also very flexible. On wood, as it contracts and expands based on temperatures, this paint can handle it without cracking. Because it is breathable, it will help to prevent mold and mildew and let moisture evaporate.
They are also more durable because they have plasticizers, which is a substance that is added to the resins to give them a finished texture that is plastic-like and soft. It makes it better to resist wear and tear.
- Adhesion: They have better adhesion because of the extra additives and chemicals in the paint. They have the extra adhesion so they can be used to paint surfaces like metal and concrete. This paint will adhere to almost any surface as long as it is properly primed and prepped.
- Cost and availability: These can be hard to find because latex being water-based is more popular. They are more expensive on average but due to their durability, it may be worth it to use acrylic paints.
- Colors: There are fewer color options.
- Shelf life: With acrylic paint, it is very thick and because it comes in tubes, you can just squeeze out what you need if you are painting murals or other artwork. For other uses, it comes in a spray can. You can use what you need and then store the rest for use later.
- Weather resistance: This paint is not weather resistant as its finish is not as strong as acrylic paint so they are better suited for indoor projects.
- Ease of use: It is easy to apply and can give you better coverage with fewer coats. It dries quickly so you can generally complete the job in one day. In regard to drying times, it will all vary according to the finish. The glossier it is, the longer it will take to dry.
- Cleaning: It is easy to clean up after you are finished painting. Any paint you need to remove can be done with warm water. This paint is also water-resistant, and the painted surfaces can be washed with warm water and soap. Because it has a harder shell, you can also scrub it.
- Health risks: As this paint is water-based, there are no health risks with using it. Even though this is water-based, you should always make sure that the room is ventilated.
- Durability: This is not a good paint to use outdoors or on exterior surfaces because when it dries, the paint becomes brittle and harder than acrylic paint. With scratches, it is more durable but on the other hand, latex paint is more likely to crack or chip. The reason it is not that durable is that it does not have any chemical binder to improve its durability.
- Adhesion: Being water-based, they do not have good adhesion because they are missing the additives and chemicals to make them have adhesion properties. Although it will adhere to some surfaces, it will peel off if you use it on concrete.
- Cost and availability: It is cheaper and you can purchase it in bulk sizes for larger jobs.
- Colors: This paint is available in many colors and finishes.
- Shelf life: Latex paint cannot be stored easily because once you open the container and air gets to it, it will not last long when you store it. The reason is because of the paint’s harden or cure in the container does not last when exposed to air.
Which Paint Should you Use?
When deciding which to use, acrylic or latex paint, there are several factors you need to take into consideration before choosing which paint to use.
- Is your painting surface interior or exterior? Acrylic paint is better outdoors and latex paint is better indoors.
- Budget? Latex is cheaper than acrylic.
- Surface area to cover? Acrylics are better for smaller surface areas but use latex for larger areas.
- Type of finish? Acrylic will give you a more durable finish than latex. Also, acrylic paint is more colorful but with latex, it can be painted over or sealed easier.
How to use Acrylic Paint
One of the more popular ways to use acrylic paint is to paint murals and other artwork. It is also great to use outdoors and on exterior surfaces. That is because it is more weather-resistant.
How to use Latex Paint
This type of paint is generally used for painting large areas, such as walls and ceilings. The reason is that it is available in bulk sizes and is cheaper. Most will use latex paint for low-traffic areas.
Related Reading: Can You Use Acrylic Paint on Guitar?
Can You Mix Acrylic And Latex Paint?
Yes, they can be mixed as they are very compatible, but it is not usually recommended to do so. If you do, the thing to remember is that to mix them, you have to do it correctly. Latex is considered house paint and acrylic paint is considered an artist’s paint. When you add acrylic paint to latex, it will quickly change the final color.
To mix them, you need to start with small amounts of each paint to check the final consistency and color. You want to make sure that is what you want to achieve. Starting small will help you know the exact ratio to add together to get the consistency and texture for your project. It will help prevent any waste of the paints.
One reason that many artists do not like to mix latex with acrylic paint is that it will not last as long as the acrylic colors would. On the plus side, when you add the two paints, it will give you the exact color, consistency, and texture you want without having to pay for another paint variant.
The main difference between the two is the moisture content. The excessive moisture content that is found in the latex paint can dilute the acrylic paint. After drying, this can create a different effect. What the final result would be will depend on the brand of latex paint used.
To mix them, you will need one pint of latex paint, tubes of acrylic paint, a paint stirrer, and a small container to mix them in.
Steps To Mix Acrylic And Latex Paint Correctly
- Step 1: Pour a small amount of latex paint into the container, even if you are going to paint a large surface.
- Step 2: Squeeze a small amount of acrylic paint into the latex paint and stir.
- Step 3: Make sure that you have mixed them completely so you will get an accurate feel for the consistency and color. Test a small bit on a piece of paper or a corner of your project that will not be that noticeable. This way you can check the color to see if it is what you want. If you want a more vibrant color, add more acrylic paint.
If you think it is too thick you can add some water to get the right consistency. If you have any leftover paint, make sure that it is stored correctly so you will not have any issues with it drying out. If you want to give some permanency to what you are painting, you can use some exterior paint binders in the mixture.
In this article, we have covered all that you need to know about Acrylics vs latex paint. Each one has been discussed in detail as to their durability, ease of use, and more. We have even covered what to use them for and how to mix them. With this information, you will know which paint to use for your project.