Randy Charles is the owner of PaintCentric.com, a website dedicated to providing information, tips, tricks, and news about all things paint. With over 10 years...Read more
- Brand: Aleene’s
- Material : Acrylic
- Style : Sealer
- Item Weight : 0.55 Pounds
- Item Dimensions : 2.08 x 0.67 x 7 inches
- Brand: Angelus
- Item Weight : 0.2 Pounds
- Item Form : Liquid
- Compatible Material : Leather, Acrylic
- Item Weight : 3.2 ounces
- Brand: Mod Podge
- Specific Uses For Product : Interior
- Material : Acrylic, Wood
- Compatible Material : Wood, Canvas, Terracotta, Metal
- Item Form : Liquid
Acrylic paint is a versatile medium that can be used for a variety of art projects. However, to ensure that your acrylic painting lasts for a long time, it is essential to seal it with the right product.
Solvent-based sealers are more durable and long-lasting, but they emit fumes and are toxic. Water-based sealers are eco-friendly and non-toxic, but they are not as durable as solvent-based sealers.
Best Sealers for Acrylic Paint
We understand that acrylic paint is a popular medium among artists and crafters, but without the right sealer, your artwork may not last as long as you’d like. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best sealers for acrylic paint.
Our team of experts has tested and reviewed each product to ensure that you’re getting the best quality for your money. Check out our top picks below.
Best Water-Based: FolkArt Soft Touch Topcoat
If you want to give your craft projects a luxurious velvety-soft finish, FolkArt Soft Touch Topcoat is a great option.
- Water-based and non-toxic sealer
- Provides a velvety-soft, velvet-like finish
- Enhances the appearance of craft projects
- Protects the project’s surface
- Compatible with FolkArt acrylic paint
- Provides a velvety-soft finish
- Water-based and non-toxic
- Made in the USA
- Can be thick and difficult to apply
- The bottle may not be full
- May require multiple coats for the desired effect
FolkArt Soft Touch Topcoat is a water-based, non-toxic sealer that can be used over any FolkArt acrylic paint. It provides a brilliant appearance that protects your project at the same time. This silky soft topcoat gives any craft a soft-to-the-touch, velvet-like finish. It is a great addition to your crafting collection.
However, some users have reported that the topcoat can be thick and difficult to apply. Additionally, some bottles may not be full, which can be disappointing. Finally, some users have reported that multiple coats may be necessary to achieve the desired effect.
Overall, if you are looking for a water-based, non-toxic sealer that provides a velvety-soft finish, FolkArt Soft Touch Topcoat is a good option to consider.
Best Quality: Mod Podge Gloss Clear Acrylic Sealer
We highly recommend the Mod Podge Gloss Clear Acrylic Sealer for anyone looking for a reliable and versatile sealer for their acrylic paint projects.
- 12 oz clear acrylic sealer
- Adds a glossy, crystal clear finish
- Works on multiple surfaces including wood, metal, canvas, and terra cotta
- Preserves and protects artwork
- Quick-drying formula
- Does not run, drip, or yellow
- Suitable for acrylic paint projects, home decor pieces
- Prevents nozzle clogging when stored upside down
- Trusted brand with over 50 years of experience
- This 12 oz clear acrylic sealer is the perfect size for all your art projects.
- The glossy, crystal-clear finish adds a beautiful shine to your creations.
- This easy-to-use spray sealer works great on multiple surfaces including wood, metal, canvas, and terra cotta.
- You may need to apply multiple coats for a more durable finish.
- The spray nozzle may clog if not cleaned properly after use.
- The sealer may take longer to dry on some surfaces.
This innovative sealer is perfect for preserving your hard work and ensuring that your arts and crafts stand up to the test of time. The crystal clear, quick-drying formula will not run, drip, or yellow, making it a reliable choice for all your sealing needs.
Whether you’re sealing acrylic paint projects, home decor pieces, or decoupage paper creations, the Mod Podge Gloss Clear Acrylic Sealer is the perfect choice. This versatile sealant is easy to use and provides durable protection and shine to all your DIY projects.
In addition to its reliability, this sealer is also convenient to use. After completing your project, simply turn the can upside down and spray to keep the nozzle from clogging. Plus, with over 50 years of experience, Mod Podge is a trusted brand that you can rely on.
Overall, the Mod Podge Gloss Clear Acrylic Sealer is a must-have for anyone looking for a reliable and versatile sealer for their acrylic paint projects.
Best Quick-Drying: Angelus Acrylic Finisher
If you’re looking for a great top finish for all smooth leathers, Angelus Acrylic Finisher 615 Satin High Gloss 4oz is a great option. It protects your paint from scratches and scrapes, helps your leather last longer, and can give the factory finish look to your project.
It’s easy to apply with a sponge, rag, wool, spray gun, or a brush and dries without the need for buffing.
- Provides a top finish for smooth leather
- Protects paint from scratches and scrapes
- Helps leather last longer
- Offers different sheens to choose from (matte, satin, high gloss, normal shine)
- Easy to apply with various tools (sponge, rag, wool, spray gun, brush)
- Dries without the need for buffing
- Water-based and cleans up easily with soap and water
- Suitable for belts, shoes, handbags, saddlery tack, upholstery, furniture, boots
- Comes in different sheens to choose from, including matte, satin, high gloss, and normal shine.
- Water-based and cleans up easily with soap and water.
- Flexible enough for belts, shoes, handbags, saddlery tack, upholstery, furniture, boots, and more.
- May not work well on textured leather.
- May not provide long-lasting protection for heavy-use items.
- Some users have reported streaking or bubbling.
Angelus Acrylic Finisher 615 Satin High Gloss 4oz is a great choice for those looking for a versatile and easy-to-use sealer for their acrylic paint projects on smooth leather.
It comes in different sheens to choose from, is water-based, and is flexible enough for a variety of leather items.
Best Overall: Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint Finisher
We recommend purchasing the Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint Finisher because it provides a semi-to-high gloss top finish to smooth leather and is easy to apply with just a rag, sponge, wool, spray gun, or brush.
- Provides a semi to high-gloss finish
- Easy to apply with various tools (rag, sponge, wool, spray gun, brush)
- Cleans up with soap and water
- Does not rub off, crack, peel, or streak once dry
- Compatible with leather and wool
- Available in liquid form
- Provides a semi to high-gloss finish
- Applies easily with various tools
- Cleans up with soap and water but will not rub off, crack, peel, or streak once dry
- Can be tacky when wet
- May not work well on certain types of leather
- Can be difficult to get a uniform finish
The Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint Finisher is a simple product to seal in your leather artwork. It works great when used over different finishes where a uniform finish is desired. This product is compatible with leather and wool and is available in liquid form.
When using the Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint Finisher, it is important to note that it may not work well on certain types of leather. Additionally, the finisher can be tacky when wet, which may make it difficult to get a uniform finish.
Overall, the Angelus Acrylic Leather Paint Finisher is a great product to use when you want to provide a glossy finish to your leather artwork. It is easy to apply and clean up and provides a long-lasting finish.
Best Durable: Aleene’s Spray Acrylic Sealer
If you’re looking for a sealer that can protect your indoor and outdoor projects while giving them a glossy finish, then Aleene’s Spray Acrylic Sealer might be the right product for you.
- Provides a clear and super glossy finish
- Offers durable and weatherproof protection
- Versatile use on various surfaces including paper, wood, and metal
- Easy to apply with a spray-on formula
- Dries quickly for fast results
- Provides a clear and super glossy finish
- Durable and weatherproof protection
- Applies evenly and dries quickly
- Strong odor, use in a well-ventilated area
- May take multiple coats for the desired level of glossiness
- May cause paper or other materials to wrinkle or curl
Aleene’s Spray Acrylic Sealer is a versatile product that can be used on a variety of surfaces, including paper, wood, metal, and more. Its spray-on formula makes it easy to apply and it dries quickly, so you don’t have to wait long to enjoy the results.
One of the best things about this sealer is that it provides a clear and super glossy finish that can make your projects look picture-perfect. It also offers durable and weatherproof protection, so you can use it on your outdoor projects without worrying about them getting damaged by the elements.
However, it’s important to note that this sealer has a strong odor, so it’s best to use it in a well-ventilated area.
Overall, if you’re looking for a sealer that can give your projects a glossy finish and protect them from the elements, Aleene’s Spray Acrylic Sealer might be worth considering.
When it comes to choosing the best sealer for acrylic paint, there are a few things to consider. Here are some features to look for when making your decision:
The most important feature to look for in an acrylic paint sealer is durability. You want a product that will protect your painting from damage, such as fading, cracking, or peeling. Look for sealers that are specifically designed for acrylic paint, as they will provide the best protection.
Acrylic paint sealers come in a variety of finishes, including matte, satin, and glossy. Consider the look you want for your painting and choose a sealer that will provide the desired finish. Keep in mind that some sealers may alter the color of your painting slightly, so test the sealer on a small area before applying it to the entire painting.
Consider how easy the sealer is to apply. Some sealers require multiple coats, while others only need one. Look for products that are easy to apply and dry quickly. You may also want to consider whether the sealer can be brushed on or sprayed.
Make sure the sealer you choose is compatible with the type of acrylic paint you used. Some sealers may not work well with certain types of acrylic paint, so check the product label or manufacturer’s website to ensure compatibility.
Price is always a consideration when purchasing any product. Look for a sealer that is within your budget, but don’t sacrifice quality for the price. A higher-priced sealer may provide better protection and durability, which can save you money in the long run by reducing the need for touch-ups or repairs.
By considering these features, you can choose the best sealer for your acrylic painting that will provide the protection and finish you desire.
How Do You Seal Acrylic Paint?
Sealing acrylic paint is a crucial step in protecting your artwork from damage caused by moisture, UV rays, and other external factors. Here are a few steps to follow when sealing your acrylic paint:
- Wait for the paint to dry completely: Before sealing your acrylic paint, make sure it is completely dry. This can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on the thickness of the paint and the humidity of the environment.
- Choose the right sealer: There are several types of sealers available for acrylic paint, including varnish, wax, and spray sealers. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to choose the right one for your specific project.
- Apply the sealer evenly: When applying the sealer, make sure to do so evenly and in thin layers. This will help prevent the sealer from cracking or peeling over time.
- Let the sealer dry completely: Once you’ve applied the sealer, let it dry completely before handling your artwork. This can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on the type of sealer and the humidity of the environment.
Overall, sealing your acrylic paint is an important step in protecting your artwork and ensuring its longevity. By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your artwork stays looking beautiful for years to come.
Why You Should Protect Your Acrylic Paintings?
Acrylic paintings are a beautiful way to express our creativity, but they are also delicate and prone to damage. Protecting your acrylic paintings is essential to ensure they stay vibrant and intact for years to come. In this section, we will discuss the reasons why you should protect your acrylic paintings.
Prevent Fading and Discoloration
Acrylic paints are prone to fading and discoloration when exposed to sunlight or UV rays. Over time, the colors can become dull and lose their vibrancy. By protecting your acrylic paintings with a sealer, you can prevent fading and discoloration, ensuring that your paintings stay vibrant and beautiful for years to come.
Protect Against Moisture and Dust
Acrylic paintings are also vulnerable to moisture and dust, which can damage the surface of the painting and cause it to deteriorate over time. A sealer can protect your painting from moisture and dust, keeping it safe and intact.
Preserve the Integrity of the Painting
Finally, protecting your acrylic paintings with a sealer can help preserve the integrity of the painting. Acrylic paints are often used on porous surfaces, such as canvas or paper, which can absorb moisture and dust.
By preventing fading and discoloration, protecting against moisture and dust, and preserving the integrity of the painting, you can ensure that your acrylic paintings stand the test of time.
Difference between a Protective Finish and a Varnish
When it comes to sealing acrylic paint, there are two main options: protective finishes and varnishes. While they may seem interchangeable, there are some key differences between the two.
A protective finish is a clear, non-yellowing coating that is specifically designed to protect the surface of the paint. It can be applied to both porous and non-porous surfaces, and it dries to a hard, durable finish.
On the other hand, varnish is a specific type of protective finish that is typically used on wood surfaces. It is a clear, glossy coating that is designed to enhance the natural beauty of the wood while also protecting it from scratches, stains, and other types of damage.
While both protective finishes and varnishes serve the same basic purpose of protecting the underlying surface, there are some important differences to keep in mind. Protective finishes are more versatile and can be used on a wider range of surfaces, while varnish is specifically designed for use on wood.
Ultimately, the choice between a protective finish and a varnish will depend on the specific needs of your project. If you are working with wood, varnish may be the best option for you. However, if you need to seal acrylic paint on a non-wood surface, a protective finish is likely the way to go.
Can You Use Polycrylic Over Acrylic Paint?
When it comes to sealing acrylic paint, polycrylic is a popular choice. But can you use it over acrylic paint? The answer is yes, you can.
Polycrylic is a water-based sealer that is compatible with most acrylic paints. It dries clear and provides a protective layer that helps prevent the paint from chipping or fading over time.
Before applying polycrylic over acrylic paint, it’s important to make sure the paint is completely dry. This usually takes around 24 hours but can vary depending on the thickness of the paint and the humidity in the air.
To apply polycrylic, we recommend using a synthetic brush or a foam brush. Apply a thin, even coat and allow it to dry completely before applying another coat. Depending on the project, you may need to apply multiple coats to achieve the desired level of protection.
It’s important to note that polycrylic may slightly change the appearance of acrylic paint. It can make the colors appear slightly darker or more vibrant, so it’s always a good idea to test it on a small, inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire project.
Overall, polycrylic is a great option for sealing acrylic paint. It’s easy to apply, dries clear, and provides a protective layer that helps preserve the beauty of your artwork or DIY project.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can we make our acrylic painting waterproof?
To make an acrylic painting waterproof, we can use a waterproof sealant or varnish. We can apply a layer of varnish on top of the painting once it has completely dried. This will create a barrier that will protect the painting from moisture and humidity.
What is the best way to seal an acrylic painting on canvas?
The best way to seal an acrylic painting on canvas is to use a varnish. We can choose between a gloss, satin, or matte finish depending on our preference. We should wait until the painting is completely dry before applying the varnish. We can use a brush or a spray to apply the varnish evenly.
Is it necessary to seal acrylic paint?
It is not necessary to seal acrylic paint, but it is recommended to protect the painting from dust, dirt, and moisture. Sealing the painting also enhances the color and texture of the painting. If we want our painting to last for a long time, it is advisable to seal it.
Can we use a varnish sealer on acrylic paint?
Yes, we can use a varnish sealer on acrylic paint. A varnish sealer will protect the painting from moisture, UV rays, and other environmental factors. We can choose between a gloss, satin, or matte finish depending on our preference.