Randy Charles is the owner of PaintCentric.com, a website dedicated to providing information, tips, tricks, and news about all things paint. With over 10 years...Read more
Does your Trex decking look tired and worn out? Despite its durability, even composite decks like Trex can lose their luster over time.
Our article will guide you through the process of refreshing your deck’s appearance by painting or staining it.
So, let’s dive into the world of deck transformations!
Paint Trex Decking
Yes, Trex decking can be painted or stained to change its color and appearance.
Yes, you can paint or stain Trex decking
You can surely make your old Trex deck look new by painting or staining it. The texture of the decking helps to hold paint or stain well. You can use different types of products like a semi-gloss acrylic latex paint or a composite deck stain.
To have long-lasting color, pick paints that are tough against weather changes. Even after years from setting up, you can still apply paint on Trex decks and fences to give them fresh life.
Choosing this method is not heavy on cost as compared to getting a brand-new deck. This action gives an upper hand in having a good-looking deck without much spending.
Considerations and drawbacks of painting Trex decking
You can paint Trex decking, but think about some points first. One big fact is that new Trex decks don’t need paint or stain. They are made to fight off bad weather and color fading.
If you choose to paint, you will have more work in the future. Paint on a deck can peel or chip over time. You will need to fix these spots to keep your deck nice and clean.
Talk about using the right products next. Not all paints stick well to this kind of decking material. Use semi-gloss acrylic latex paint or composite deck stain for the best results.
A last thing is cost. While painting may seem like a good way to save money now, it could lead to higher costs later due to upkeep needs.
How to Prep Trex Decking for Painting?
To prep Trex decking for painting, start by thoroughly cleaning the deck surface using a mild detergent and a scrub brush.
Once clean, sand the surface lightly to remove any existing finish and create texture for better paint adhesion.
Finally, apply a primer specifically designed for composite materials to ensure long-lasting results.
Cleaning the deck
Getting your deck clean is the first step to painting. Here’s how you can do it:
- Pick a dry, sunny day.
- Move all the furniture off the deck.
- Sweep well to remove loose dirt and leaves.
- Use a mix of warm water and mild soap.
- Wet a small part of the deck with water.
- Scrub that area with a stiff brush soaked in the soap mix.
- Rinse the area well so no soap stays on.
- Repeat these steps for all parts of your deck.
- Let your deck dry for at least 24 hours before sanding or painting.
Sanding the surface
To prepare the Trex decking for painting, you need to sand the surface.
Sanding helps remove any dirt, debris, or loose material, creating a smooth and even surface for better paint adhesion. Here’s what you need to do:
- Use a power sander or sandpaper to lightly sand the entire surface of the deck.
- Start with a coarse-grit sandpaper (around 80-100 grit) and gradually move to a finer grit (around 120-150 grit).
- Sand in the direction of the grain to avoid damaging the deck boards.
- Pay extra attention to areas where there is peeling paint or rough spots.
- After sanding, clean the deck thoroughly to remove any dust or residue.
To properly paint Trex decking, it is important to apply primer before painting. This helps the paint adhere better and ensures a smoother finish. Here are the steps to apply primer:
- Clean the deck surface thoroughly using a mild detergent and water.
- Rinse off any soap residue and allow the deck to dry completely.
- Sand the surface lightly to remove any rough patches or imperfections.
- Wipe away any dust or debris with a clean cloth.
- Apply a high – quality exterior primer that is suitable for use on composite materials.
- Use a brush or roller to evenly coat the entire deck surface with primer.
- Allow the primer to dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions before applying paint.
Painting Trex Decking
To paint Trex decking, start by choosing the right paint for composite materials and applying it using a roller or brush.
Then, seal the deck with a clear waterproof sealer to protect the paint and extend its lifespan.
Choosing the right paint
To paint your Trex decking, it’s important to choose the right type of paint. Look for a semi-gloss acrylic latex paint or a composite deck stain that is specifically designed for outdoor use.
These types of paints and stains are durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Make sure to read the labels and instructions on the products you choose to ensure they are suitable for use on composite materials like Trex decking.
Applying the paint
Applying the paint on Trex decking is an important step in the painting process. Here’s how you can do it:
- Start by stirring the paint thoroughly to ensure an even consistency.
- Use a high – quality brush or roller to apply the paint onto the decking surface. Choose a brush with synthetic bristles for better coverage.
- Begin at one corner of the deck and work your way towards an exit point, so you don’t accidentally step on wet paint.
- Apply the paint in smooth, even strokes, following the natural grain of the decking boards.
- Pay close attention to any gaps or crevices between boards, making sure to cover them with paint as well.
- Avoid applying too much pressure, as it can cause streaks or smudges in the finish.
- If needed, apply a second coat of paint after allowing sufficient drying time between coats. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for recommended drying times.
- Clean up any drips or spills immediately using a cloth and mild soap and water.
- Let the paint dry completely before walking on or placing furniture back on your deck.
Sealing the deck
To protect your newly painted Trex decking and enhance its durability, you will need to seal the deck. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose the right sealer: Look for a high-quality waterproofing sealer that is specifically designed for use on composite materials like Trex decking. It should provide protection against moisture, UV rays, and mildew.
- Clean the deck: Before applying the sealer, make sure the deck surface is clean and free of dust, dirt, and debris. Use a mild detergent and a soft brush or broom to scrub the surface gently. Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Apply the sealer: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to apply the sealer. Most sealers can be applied with a brush, roller, or sprayer. Start from one side of the deck and work your way across in smooth, even strokes. Pay extra attention to areas that are more exposed to moisture or traffic.
- Allow proper drying time: After applying the sealer, let it dry completely before using the deck again. The drying time may vary depending on weather conditions and the specific product used.
- Regular maintenance: To keep your sealed Trex decking looking its best, regular maintenance is important. Sweep or rinse off any dirt or debris regularly to prevent buildup.
Yes, you can paint or stain Trex decking to change its color. It’s important to prepare the surface properly by cleaning and sanding it before applying a primer and then painting or staining.
While painting Trex decking can be a cost-effective option, be aware of the considerations and drawbacks such as potential peeling or voiding warranty.
Properly maintaining your deck will ensure its longevity and appearance.
So go ahead and give your Trex decking a fresh new look with some paint!
Can you paint Trex decking?
No, it is not recommended to paint Trex decking as it has a protective shell that can prevent the paint from adhering properly.
Can I use a stain instead of painting Trex decking?
No, staining is also not recommended for Trex decking as its surface does not absorb stains effectively.
How do I clean and maintain Trex decking?
To clean and maintain Trex decking, simply wash it with soap and water or use a composite deck cleaner. Avoid using harsh chemicals or pressure washing.
Will the color of my Trex decking fade over time?
Trex decking is designed to resist fading; however, some natural weathering may occur, resulting in slight color changes.
Are there any alternatives if I want to change the color of my deck?
If you want to change the color of your deck, consider using outdoor rugs or furniture that complement your desired look instead of painting or staining the Trex decking itself.