Randy Charles is the owner of PaintCentric.com, a website dedicated to providing information, tips, tricks, and news about all things paint. With over 10 years...Read more
2023 offers a variety of paint options for walls and ceilings. Two popular ones are eggshell and semi-gloss. It can be tough to choose between them. Let’s look at their pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision.
- Eggshell paints offer a low-sheen finish between satin and flat. It dries quickly and leaves little residue after cleanup. It has good hiding capabilities with one coat, although two coats may be needed for darker colors or painting over bright whites or light colors. Plus, the low sheen of the Eggshell hides imperfections.
- Semi-gloss paints are durable and easy to clean due to their glossier finish. They provide greater coverage than eggshells in most scenarios. However, the shine levels can make maintaining a consistent look across walls difficult. Therefore, more finessing is required for application than with other finishes.
Eggshell paint is a top pick in 2023 for home interior painting. It has a semi-gloss look that’s not too shiny or dull. Plus, it’s easy to clean – great for high-traffic areas.
But is eggshell paint the right choice for you? Let’s get into the details and find out!
Choosing paint for your home can be tricky. You may have a few options – flat, eggshell, semi-gloss and glossy. But which is best for certain rooms? Eggshell and semi-gloss have distinct characteristics. Let’s explore them!
Eggshell paints are durable and can give walls a soft glow. They have very little sheen when dry, but they show some glossiness when wiped. This is because of resins which give sturdiness and washability.
Semi-gloss paint offers more durability and washability than eggshells. It also has a higher level of glossiness which gives better light reflection. It’s shiny enough that scratches are less noticeable but not so much that fingerprints easily appear. Plus, semi-gloss can give a smooth surface while still allowing minor wall imperfections to be seen, unlike flat finishes, which hide cracks.
Pros and Cons
When deciding between Eggshell and semi-gloss paint, one must consider the advantages and disadvantages of each. Eggshell paint gives a soft glow, neither bright nor dull. On the other hand, semi-gloss offers more protection but is also shiny. Let’s look at the points to consider in 2023:
- Eggshell Paint Pros:
- Soft, neither bright nor dull
- Lower sheen hides dirt, smudges and stains better
- Easier to use; coverage better
- Good durability; usually scrubbable
- Eggshell Paint Cons:
- Less durable than semi-gloss; more easily scuffed or scratched
- It can be streaky if the poor quality or not applied well
- Semi-Gloss Paint Pros:
- High durability; resists scuffing and scratching
- Easier to clean due to the glossy finish
- Semi-Gloss Paint Cons:
- Not suitable for all rooms due to reflections
- Grimy look due to dust or fingerprints collecting quickly
Eggshell vs. semi-gloss paint: Consider which is best for you! Eggshell has a soft sheen but no rich colors or glossiness. It’s great for base coats since it blends easily and provides medium protection from dirt and stains.
Semi-gloss, on the other hand, has extra shine and dimension. It gives surfaces a “Hollywood” effect and can be done in just one coat. Plus, it’s great for high-traffic areas and easy to wipe clean. Perfect for door frames, kitchen cabinets and furniture pieces that tend to get touched often.
2023 is the year of semi-gloss paint! It’s the more popular choice because of its long-lasting, glossy finish. Plus, it’s more stain-resistant and washable than eggshell paint.
Let’s explore the advantages of semi-gloss paint further:
When selecting a paint finish, it is vital to understand the contrast between Eggshell and semi-gloss.
Eggshell and semi-gloss are two of interior walls’ most widely used sheen levels. Each has unique features that distinguish it from other finishes.
- Eggshell: Eggshell paints produce a slightly glossy effect that gives off a gentle radiance like an eggshell. This type of finish is usually used in bedrooms, living rooms, and other comfortable areas as it has a low-luster aspect. Additionally, Eggshell is easy to clean and is resistant to stains and moisture.
- Semi-Gloss: Semi-gloss paints have a more glossy sheen than eggshell paints. This makes them suitable for high-traffic areas such as bathrooms and kitchens since they can stand out against dirt and stains. Semi-gloss also helps to hide any wall imperfections as the light reflects off these surfaces evenly. For surfaces requiring frequent cleaning or exposed to water or grease, semi-gloss is often the best choice as it is more resistant to water damage than other paint finishes.
Pros and Cons
Do you ponder the distinction between Eggshell and semi-gloss paint? Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Here’s a comparison for those weighing their options for home painting projects.
- Pros: Its soft look hides wall imperfections and offers protection from spills and marks. It’s also simple to clean and more forgiving when touch-ups are needed.
- Cons: Dirt shows easily and may not work in high-traffic, messy spots since it’s hard to clean.
- Pros: It’s very durable and resists dirt. Keeping clean is also easier since it won’t show smudges or fingerprints.
- Cons: Its shine can draw attention to any existing wall flaws. This can give an unpolished look compared to matt finishes.
Semi-gloss paint is great for surfaces that require frequent cleaning. It’s ideal for trim areas like window and door frames, baseboards, shelving and other objects that get lots of contacts. It can also make facades, porches, railings and handrails look brighter.
This type of paint is suitable for both inside and outside use. For example, it’s good for remodeling projects when switching from one material to another. Its sheen is resistant to dirt, grease, and grime, so it’s perfect for high-traffic rooms like kitchens and bathrooms.
It’s crucial to comprehend the dissimilarities between Eggshell and semi-gloss paint. In 2023, you’ll need to make a decision. There are so many selections today that it’s difficult to determine which is best. Fortunately, this article will clarify the differences between these two paints. This way, you can make an informed choice.
Are eggshell and semi-gloss paints durable?
Yes! Both offer great longevity; proper care and maintenance can last up to 15 years. Eggshell paint offers better resistance to scuffs and scratches, but its finish isn’t as strong as semi-gloss. Semi-gloss provides more protection against wear and tear. However, too much gloss can make it look “plasticky.”
It’s your personal preference which one you choose. Semi-gloss is best for rooms with a lot of traffic, like kitchens, living rooms, bathrooms, etc. Eggshell works better in less busy areas, like bedrooms and home offices.
In 2021/22, both finishes offer durability, plus the newer flat wall paints or velvet sheens. Consider your budget and how it fits into the overall room design when making your decision.
The aesthetic of paint impacts a space. Sheen can range from matte to glossy, depending on the protective agent added. Higher sheens reflect light, while lower sheens absorb it. Matte finishes give walls a classic look. Semi-gloss is popular and makes walls easier to clean. Eggshell is between matte and semi-gloss, as it resists staining and scuffing and provides minimal shine.
When deciding between Eggshell and semi-gloss in 2023, think about the desired effect for the room. For areas with high ventilation, higher gloss finishes help protect against mildew. Eggshell or flat surfaces are better than high gloss for muted reflective expression. Matt finishes wear out faster than semi-gloss, with a protective layer to keep its smooth surface finish.
When it comes to Eggshell and semi-gloss paint, cleanability is key. Eggshell paints have a low sheen, making them simple to touch up and less likely to show blemishes or streaks. Semi-Gloss paints are sturdy and withstand continuous cleaning, scrubbing, and wear and tear.
Remember that semi-gloss paint reflects light more than flat paint, making smudges and fingerprints more visible. If you want something easy to keep clean but don’t want it drawing attention in high-traffic areas, eggshell paint is your best choice in 2023. It’s also a great option for homes with small children since it resists dirt build-up better than flat finish paints.
Comparing prices, eggshell paint is cheaper than semi-gloss. Eggshell usually costs $15 to $30 per gallon and can cover 300 sq ft. Semi-gloss is $20 to $45 per gallon and covers 410 sq ft. So, if you’re watching your budget, eggshell paint is the better choice.
It’s essential to consider your expectations and the space you’re painting before deciding which paint to use. Eggshell and semi-gloss paints both have their pros and cons. Think about the atmosphere you wish to create in the room and select a sheen level that fits it. For example, high gloss is better for high-traffic zones like kitchens, while more subtle sheens suit quieter rooms like bedrooms or formal areas.
Depending on your desired effect, Eggshell or semi-gloss paints will work in any space. You might also combine different finishes, such as a high gloss trim with an eggshell finish. Test any finish before you decide, think about environmental factors like moisture levels, and check out our guide on comparing paint quality:
- Test any finish before you decide.
- Think about environmental factors like moisture levels.
- Check out our guide on comparing paint quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Eggshell and semi-gloss paint?
Eggshell paint has a low sheen and is less durable than semi-gloss paint. Eggshell paint is better for walls and provides a softer look. Semi-gloss paint is more durable, making it better for areas that need to be wiped down. It also has a higher sheen that makes it more reflective, giving it a brighter look.
What are the benefits of using eggshell paint over a semi-gloss paint?
Eggshell paint is less reflective and provides a softer look that is better for walls. It is also easier to work with and touch up. On the other hand, semi-gloss paint is more durable and provides a brighter, shinier finish ideal for areas that need to be wiped down.
Which is better in 2023, eggshell or semi-gloss paint?
It depends on what the surface is for. Eggshell paint is better for walls and provides a softer look. Semi-gloss paint is better for areas that need to be wiped down and provides a brighter, shinier finish. Either option can be used in 2023, depending on the specific application.
Randy Charles is the owner of PaintCentric.com, a website dedicated to providing information, tips, tricks, and news about all things paint. With over 10 years of experience in the painting industry, Randy has become an expert in the field and is passionate about helping others learn more about painting. He has written numerous articles on the subject and is committed to providing accurate and up-to-date information to his readers.
- Latest Posts by Randy Charles
Can You Spray Paint A Guitar?-
Is Acrylic Paint Toxic to Cats?-
Do You Have To Be 18 To Buy Spray Paint?- All Posts