Hi, I’m Randy Charles, the creator and chief editor of this site Paintcentric. I’m a businessman now by profession, but I used to work as...Read more
One of the simplest and most cost-effective methods to provide the home with a new look is to paint the interior. It can raise the value of a home in a matter of hours. The need for painting a room, on the other hand, can be costly, which pops the question of how much does it costs to paint a living room?
With many painters in the industry, there are variations of costs in painting a space in the house. While some handymen charge on the high side, some are more affordable. On average, painting costs between $2 and $6 per square foot, with total costs ranging from $955 to $2890. It is essential to point out that certain factors contribute to the variation, and there are specific ways to make the budget work.
- Painting gives the house a new look; it is vital to choose the house’s colour.
- Price of painting a room depends on the painter and the materials. The price varies for stores.
- The average cost of painting a room is between $2 and $6. It is best to paint early Falls.
- The cost of a DIY painting slashes the total cost of a painting by half. There wouldn’t be a need to pay for labour.
How Much Does It Cost To Paint A Living Room?
The paint job of inhabitants of a particular building differs by place, official setting, and caliber of people, meaning the cost will work as well. A millionaire might want to have fragranced paintwork to give that relaxing feeling or take, for instance, the paint job for a building like the White House, wouldn’t cost the same compared to a random house on the street. So it is essential that before painting, a budget be mapped out; one that is convenient for the inhabitant of the house.
There are several determining factors of the price tag to painting a room, and most times going to ask the painter how much does it costs to paint a living room isn’t ideal. The issue is that many painting contractors refuse to provide information about this number. They feel that by keeping the information hidden, they have a higher chance of getting into the home and landing the job. The cost allocated can go way above budget, and the possibility of being entirely pleased by the painting isn’t guaranteed. So it is pertinent to make out time and draft a budget with the kind of paint preferred the number of coating needed, and the money to be paid for labor. Below are some of the factors that determine the cost of a painting:
Type of Paint
There are several varieties of paints in the market, ranging from quality, luster, and smell, each unique in its way. These differences also contribute to its worth. The paints are characterized by the base some of them are:
- Oil-based paint: Professional painters commonly use them because of their strong finish, which makes them durable and water-resistant. Oil-based paints have superior surface penetration and adherence than other types of paint. Oil-based paints are excellent at stain blocking ideal for stained surfaces, bleeding woods, and rust-prone metals. A gallon of oil-based paint is sold within $20 to $60.
- Latex paint: For the most part, latex paint is used for exterior projects. The advantage of this paint over oil-based paint is that it is considerably easier to work. Latex paint moves with the expansion and contraction of the home siding and does not trap moisture. Acrylic latex paint is the finest quality latex paint available and is suitable for use on any building material. If latex paint is used, make sure to choose for the interior or exterior. The latex paint you used on the inside of the house will not last outside. They go for about $15 to $50.
- Water-based paint: When painting an interior wall, a water-based enamel is usually a better choice than an oil-based enamel. Water-based paints have a lower odor and are easier to clean up (which will come in handy if you’re painting inside your home!). Furthermore, water-based paints emit fewer volatile organic compounds, dry quickly, and last longer. Although water-based paint is not as durable or long-lasting as oil-based paint, it is still viable.
There are also options to give the painting a sheen if necessary. such as
- Matte paint: It has a slight sheen to it compared to its flat counterpart. When discussing paint types, the phrases matte and flat are frequently used interchangeably. There are slight variances between matte and flat finishes, as It is more durable, so this isn’t entirely accurate. Matte paint is an excellent option for your ceiling.
- Eggshell paint: It has a low luster like an eggshell; therefore, it’s ideal for ornamental purposes. It is easier to clean than a flat finish. Eggshell paint is a popular choice since it is both durable and cost-effective. It’s also relatively simple to clean. Even after it has been placed on your wall, you will be able to wash it more readily than with other forms of paint. It is sold for $11 to $60 per gallon
- Satin paint: They are slightly shinier than eggshell paint. Satin has a higher sheen, giving it a smooth and velvety appearance. It is washed when dirty and accepts vigorous scrubbing. It is suitable for hallways and dining rooms.
- Gloss paint: It’s gleaming, stain-resistant, and easy to scrub within a price range of $12 to $80. Because high-gloss paint reflects light and makes flaws more visible, it isn’t often suggested for walls.
The average size of the room: Another factor to consider is the size of the room. The larger the room, the more paint it will need and vice versa. An average living room measures 330 square feet; the size determines the quantity of paint required. The cost of painting a room is between $2 and $5 per square foot. The size of a living room is measured using tape.
The ceiling of the room: Ceilings are pretty stressful to paint, so painters tend to charge high for it, especially when it’s high. In most older homes, the ceilings are 8 feet high throughout. Nine and 10-foot ceilings are commonly found throughout modern homes. It should be noted, however, that this may vary.
Coats of paint: How many times the wall is coated depends on the already existing color of the paint. If the walls to be painted are the same color as the paint, then just a coat is okay. But if the new color is different from that already on the wall, two or more coats are needed according to the paint type, which means more cost.
Time of the year: The time of year chosen to paint a room is significant to the project price. It is best to pick a time during the fall and winter months to save the cost of painting. Companies are slower from November to February due to lesser exterior painting jobs. It results in higher price quotes for interior painting.
Also, consider the tools needed to work. Tools like painter’s tape, paint roller, extension, pad, and paintbrush take priority, although there might be other tools. Note that the prices might vary to stores, so endeavor to check and add it to your budget.
Read More: How Much Does It Cost to Paint Rims?
What Is The Average Cost Of Painting A Living Room If You Do It Yourself?
The average cost of painting a room is slashed by fifty percent when the house’s occupant decides to paint themselves. At this point, the only charge that needs to be considered is the paint and the working tools. The money for labor stays back in the pocket and is channeled towards something else. The only problem is that the inhabitant would need to pay with precious time, and the painting might not have a standard professional ring. But with proper instructions, this is easily avoided.
When it comes to estimating the average painting expenses for a room, the easiest way to start is to calculate the square footage of the space. It is possible to paint an interior of 400 square feet with one gallon. Regarding this, a budget-friendly DIY painting job in a small room would cost lower than $100.
What Is The Average Cost Of Painting A Living Room If You Have A Professional Painter?
With the high number of painting contractors, there would be a slight variation to the total cost of painting a living room. Professionals charge for their work using the paint average per square foot range of $2-$6. In other words, expect a quote based on the entire project. Prepare answers to questions such as the type of paint, what color will be preferred, and whether repairs are needed. If it is not budget-friendly, it is best to try another person. It’s also worth noting that most painters charge less for interior painting because interior painting costs are typically substantially lower than the cost of exterior home painting. If everything is accounted for, the professional will charge around $900-$1200. The price would vary to building size and the type of paint request.
How Can You Save Money When Painting A Living Room?
Even though the paint is relatively affordable compared to replacing counters or flooring, one can quickly build up a hefty charge at the paint store register. To make the most out of the decorating budget while creating a dream environment, all that is needed are a few guidelines.
- Have a plan: Creating a budget for the painting ensures unnecessary expenditures; it puts one in line with the very necessities. Choose the color samples that work best for the room at the paint counter, but add one or two surprises to your selection. You’ll experience the excitement of the unexpected without the cost of redecorating your space.
- Promo sales: It doesn’t hurt looking out for promo sales for paints; it may hold once or twice a year. Spring is the most popular season for house remodeling; early spring is an excellent time for paint industry promotions.
- Be your painter: As earlier stated, painting the room oneself can prove cheap. Get some correctional tapes, mask the walls, and take time to paint. It’s critical to use the best tools and supplies available to complete the task correctly and safely. Enroll family and friends under supervision to complete the work swiftly and consistently.
- Choose the right paint formula: a perfect ratio of primer to paint saves a lot of money. There wouldn’t be a need to buy the primer separately, and the final results always come out beautiful.
- One paint choice: To save money, choosing just one unique paint color for the entire house; gives a simple yet elegant look. And there wouldn’t be the need for too much spending.
DIY painters are always curious, asking how much does it cost to paint a living room? In reality, it depends on the room size and quality of paint needed.