Randy Charles is the owner of PaintCentric.com, a website dedicated to providing information, tips, tricks, and news about all things paint. With over 10 years...Read more
The interior of a house is arguably the best part of the house that highlights the beauty of the apartment. Hence, the interior of a home must be well painted with colors that match and blend perfectly. Learning how to paint a house interior is essential for new homeowners and professionals alike.
Using a roller to paint the easier-to-reach places is usually the first step. However, rollers may not reach crevices and tight wall corners. It is advisable to use an airless sprayer to reach tight spots and get the paint to spread evenly. painting a house interior is moderately easy to do. This guide assesses the best ways to paint a house interior.
- Painters should not forget to check if the ceiling needs painting.
- Paint an accent wall in a bold hue or highlight the molds in a contrasting finish.
- The paint is sprayed a little at a time, then add more coats if needed.
Can You Paint The Interior Yourself?
Painting a house interior is one of the most prominent Do-It-Yourself activities out there. It is easy to do; it saves cost and is a fun activity. It doesn’t require any formal training or professional expertise. Intending DIY interior painters need to get the correct information and guidance on how to paint a house interior.
Before the paint job starts, one must prep and sand the surface. Removing any old paint is essential to get a clean job at the end. The painter must ensure that the holes and dents have been filled and adequately sanded. Filling the gaps might be the most important part of DIY interior painting. No matter how high-quality paint is, it can’t hide or close dent marks.
What You Will Need:
Getting the required tools to begin the painting is essential. The tools should be easily accessible and near the painter. Painting tools can be obtained from nearby paint shops and are affordable. Intending painters should also be careful to pick quality and long-lasting tools. For example, the brush needed for interior painting is wall paintbrushes.
Here are some tools that work for interior painting:
- Rollers: Roller allows the painter to cover the walls faster. The roller covers more surface areas than the brush. Rollers come in different-sized naps, which plays a role in the amount of paint slathered on the wall. If one doesn’t want thick colors, they should opt for naps that aren’t very thick.
- Tray: if the painter will use a roller, then a tray is necessary. The tray will serve for putting the needed paint. Intending painters should buy trays that can contain the size of their rollers.
- Brush: a good brush will help make the painting job very easy. If one buys a low-quality brush, the wall paint might come off looking haggardly done. The brush bristles would do better when they are of even size.
- Tape: Masking Tape will prevent paint from getting on areas one doesn’t intend to paint. Masking tapes are easy to remove, and they can stay on the walls for very long. It is essential to remove the masking tape after painting to prevent chipping
- Drop Cloth: It is vital to prevent the room floor from dripping paint. Accidental spills can ruin carpets and even tiles. Thinner plastic drop cloths are easily disposable after use. If one is looking for reusable material, thicker clothes are the best option.
- Corner Edges: Corner Edges are plastic tools that fit around the corners of the cupboards or the molds. Corner Edges tool will help keep paint that might get into tight spaces. Those spaces that aren’t intended for painting will appreciate having masking tape placed over them.
- Sprayer: The sprayer is another essential tool that helps to get the job done very fast. If one has a vast open space that needs to be painted as soon as possible, they should opt for a sprayer. Buying a big and powerful spray will get the walls covered in paint in record time.
- Edger: for those that aren’t very experienced with a brush, an edger is a good tool for painting edges. Edges like door frames, windows, and floorboards are easier painted when an edger is used. These tools make it easy to edge around the items in the home without getting paint on them.
- Extension Pole: Due to accidental falls, not everyone uses a ladder. An extension pole is used to get too high and hard to reach parts of the house. These poles have a threaded end that allows the painter to screw on their paint rollers.
- Paint Remover: DIY painters can strip away old paint from the surface. The paint remover can easily remove up to fifteen layers of paint. It is essential to purchase an environmental friendly paint remover. Also, an odor-free paint remover will be good to avoid breathing problems.
Other Tools That Might Be Needed Are:
- Painter’s Tool
- Paint Bucket
- Paint Guide
- Tool Holder
- Stencil Brush
- Angle Sash
- Flat Sash
- Thin Angle Sash
How To Paint A House Interior?
Painting a house interior is a great way to get the house to look stylish and elegant. It is pretty easy to do if the right tool is added with adequate knowledge. So, here are simple steps to take when painting a house interior.
Clear the Area of Furniture:
The first step is to clear the area of furniture. Doing this will prevent paint from getting on the table. Also, it gives ample space for the painter. When the site is free of clutter, the painter will have enough space to work without the worry of tripping over.
Lay down a Dropcloth:
Most people forget to lay down a drop cloth when they paint. Laying down a fabric will stop dripping paint from staining the ground. Carpets are usually costly investments that no one will want to be ruined by paint. So, a thick or light drop cloth will do perfectly for soaking up excess paint.
Prepping The Surface:
The success of a paint job depends on the cleanliness of the surface. It is advisable to scrape the Interior walls, getting rid of any old paint. Prepping can be done with a wall scraper. The general idea is for the painter to scrape till they can see the bare wall. That is how to know that all old paint has been removed.
Tint The Primer:
Priming the wall is a must-do activity before painting can begin. The primer has three main functions. The first purpose of a primer is to block stains from seeping through the wall. Primer permits a painting coverage of only one coat; this is the second function. The third function is improving paint cohesion, thereby reducing blisters and peeling.
Use An Extension Pole:
Extension poles are perfect replacements for ladders. The poles are made in several lengths of up to 18 feet long. A pole that lengthens from 18-36 inches is high enough to coat rooms that have ceilings as tall as with 8-9ft. The pole can be twisted into the paint roller’s handle. People that intend to buy an extension pole should find one with a delicate and firm grip.
Determine How much Paint is Needed:
The next step is to get an accurate estimate of how much paint is needed. The general rule of thumb is one gallon/square feet. A deeper color base tends to require more coats of paint than a lighter one. Determining the amount of paint that is needed will save money and also help the painter to be efficient.
Begin To Paint:
The painting should be done in gentle, straight strokes. One should avoid haggard painting as much as possible. After painting a section for about 3-4 meters, the painter should lay off a smooth and consistent finish. Laying off will hide the rough strokes and give the wall a better-looking appearance.
How Much Does It Cost To Paint A House Interior?
Painting a house interior is one of the best and most effective ways to give it a vibrant look. So, whether the house is new or one is looking to re-paint an old house, interior paint makes a huge difference in the overall quality. The cost of painting a house varies from different locations due to price differences and the amount of paint needed.
The average cost to paint the interior of a house is between 1.50 Usd to 3.50 Usd per square foot. If the trim and the ceilings are included, the price can rise to 3-4 Usd. So, the total cost to paint a home interior is around 1200-3900 Usd. The labor cost takes about 70-85% of the total cost. However, homeowners can significantly reduce the cost by doing the painting themselves.
Related Reading:How Much Does It Cost to Paint Rims?
Painting a house interior may be a difficult task without proper knowledge. Knowing how to paint a house interior will help homeowners make their living area beautiful and clean.
Randy Charles is the owner of PaintCentric.com, a website dedicated to providing information, tips, tricks, and news about all things paint. With over 10 years of experience in the painting industry, Randy has become an expert in the field and is passionate about helping others learn more about painting. He has written numerous articles on the subject and is committed to providing accurate and up-to-date information to his readers.
- Latest Posts by Randy Charles
Can You Spray Paint A Guitar?-
Is Acrylic Paint Toxic to Cats?-
Do You Have To Be 18 To Buy Spray Paint?- All Posts