Hi, I’m Randy Charles, the creator and chief editor of this site Paintcentric. I’m a businessman now by profession, but I used to work as...Read more
You have just finished your basement or maybe poured a concrete patio and want it to look like stone but are unsure where to start. Is it even possible to make your concrete floor have a sone look? Is it worth the trouble?
How to paint concrete floors to look like stone is worth the effort. It will give your concrete floor a very unique look, whether it is indoors or out. What type of paint do you use to get this effect? What do I need to make this happen?
All of these questions will be answered in this article. We will go step by step to help you achieve making your concrete floor look like stone when you are finished. You will also know just what materials you will need. By the end of this article, you will have your beautiful concrete floors that look like stone
Can I Paint Concrete to Look Like Stone?
Yes, you can paint concrete to look like stone. You can use stains, paints, dyes, or a mix of these to get that faux stone and rock look. To get this look, there are steps that you have to follow. It can take time but, in the end, your concrete floor will look like stone.
The quickest way to paint your concrete floor to look like stone is to use a concrete stain. It will not chip, weather, or fade over time as it would with paint, There are two types of concrete stain. The first is acid stain, which is used by professionals. It works by chemically reacting with concrete to change the color. It is a permanent stain and will not fade.
The other type of concrete stain is one that will simply soak into the concrete after you spray, roll, or spread it on. It may fade over time but if you seal it, it will last longer.
How to Paint Concrete Floors to Look Like Stone?
When painting your concrete floors to look like stone, one of the first things that you need to do is decide what color the stone will be. Although there is a basic background color, there is no stone that is one uniform color. You may see small flecks or mottles in other colors.
Things to Remember
When choosing the color of your stone, you need to remember that you have one primary background color. Then you need to choose one or two complementary colors for the specks and flecks in the stone. Concrete is porous, which means it is full of tiny openings or holes, so you want to make sure that you are using special stain products or concrete paint.
If you decide to go with a concrete stain, you will need to see if there is any existing sealer because the stain will not penetrate the concrete surface if it has been sealed. If it has been sealed but you still want to use the concrete stain, you will have to strip off the sealer before you can use it.
Materials you Will Need
- Paintbrush, roller, or both
- Broom to clean the concrete before painting
- Mop if you want to damp mop the concrete to make sure that all the dirt is off.
- Masking or painter’s tape
- Plastic bags, mesh shower ball, tissue paper
Steps to Take for Painting your Concrete
- Step 1: Make sure that the area is clean, sweeping it free of any debris. If there is anything stuck to the concrete floor, scrape it off. You can use a damp mop to clean the floor but before you can apply the paint, you will need to let it dry completely.
- Step 2: Tape off any areas that you are going to paint. Use painters or masking tape.
- Step 3: Paint the concrete floor with one or two coats of the stone color you chose, using either a brush or roller. Which you use will depend on the area size that you are painting. Make sure that the paint has dried between each coat.
- Step 4: Once the concrete floor has been painted with the main color, it is time to add the flecks. You can do this by wadding up a plastic bag you would get from the grocery into a ball. Dip it into a complementary paint color. Daub the paint across the concrete floor. Make sure that you do not wipe or brush the paint on the concrete floor but pat or dab it into place.
If you want to change the textured pattern, you can use other porous materials such as mesh shower balls, wadded-up tissue paper, etc.
- Step 5: When you are finished, use a feather duster to brush across the wet paint. This will help to blend the colors together.
- Step 6: After the paint has completely dried, you should finish it with a varnish or a coat of clear paint stain to protect the surface.
Steps to Take When Using Concrete Stain
- Step 1: The first thing to do is prepare the concrete floor for staining. You will need to sweep your concrete to make sure that it is clean and grease-free. The stain works best on a concrete floor that is grease-free.
- Step 2: Concrete stains generally have more than one step before you can apply them. For example, a dry powder concrete stain would be followed by a liquid activator. To get a better choice of color, use a stain that simply sprays, rolls, or spreads on. Make sure you read the instructions completely before applying the concrete stain.
- Step 3: After applying, let it dry for at least five hours.
- Step 4: Apply a second coat if you do not think it is vibrant or dark enough.
- Step 5: The final step is to apply a concrete sealer. Read the instructions on how to do this. You can apply the sealer with a nap roller, garden sprayer, or sponge mop. Use even, thin coats. Once you have covered the entire area, let it dry, which can take two to twenty-four hours. If applying a second coat, let the first coat dry for at least twelve hours.
Is There Paint That Looks Like Stone?
Yes, there is a spray paint from Rustoleum called American Accents Creations Spray Paint, Gray Stone Rustoleum American Accents Stone.This will give your concrete floor the natural feel and look of stone. The adhesive formula will give your concrete floor a decorative finish that is long-lasting.
If you would like your concrete floor to look like granite, you can use a countertop paint kit, such as the Sicilian Sand Kit. You could also use a stone texture spray paint.
Can You Use Spray Paint On Concrete?
Yes, they can be used on concrete. Most of the spray paint will adhere to unfinished concrete that is clean. To provide a glossy sheen you just need to add clear enamel. This will help the paint to stay on the concrete.
After reading this article, you now know how to paint concrete floors to look like stone. Doing this will give your ordinary concrete floor a new unique look and have everyone wondering why you used stone for your floors. It will look so real, it will be hard to tell the difference between a concrete floor painted to look like stone and the real thing.